Saint George, Utah, What Happens if an Estate Owner Dies Without a Will?

When a person loses their life and they have not created a legal will for their family to use, the law considers them as dying intestate. The location and state a person reside in mandates the details of how the assets that they left behind will be distributed and what is to be done with the loans they owe. The sad reality is that the rules of the government often do not align with the estate owners’ original wishes, and this can lead to one’s hard-earned assets being distributed in a way the owner would never have preferred.

To avoid this situation and to ensure one’s loved ones get what a person wants them to, every individual who owns assets should make sure they connect with an estate planning attorney and plan out their assets as soon as possible. The sooner they have the legal process taken care of, the easier it is for their loved ones when they have no one around to support them any longer.

The main purpose of a will is to provide information and instructions regarding how certain properties should be distributed and moved around. However, it is important to note that all wills have their limits, and a person can only distribute their wealth based on the laws of the state they reside in, and though they can choose specific details, they cannot surpass joint property with rights of survivorship and other similar factors such as employee death benefits. A will can be simple or it can be complex based on how much a person owns and how they wish their assets will be distributed. Whether a person is opting for a simple will or a testamentary will; they need the help of an estate planning attorney to make sure it follows the correct legal rulings.

What can be accomplished through a will in Saint George, Utah?

With so many legal limitations, a person may find themselves wondering what they have control over in their will. They can actually accomplish quite a lot with the right attorney by their side. They have the option of designating a guardian for their minor children and they can appoint a trustee to manage the property for the support of the children. A person can also designate an executor or a personal representative of the estate so the need for a bond is eliminated. However, a will cannot govern the control of non-probate property that is meant to be passed on to a specific individual based on the law.

Get in touch with an estate planning attorney at the Law Office of Barney, Mckenna, and Olmstead as soon as possible to get help creating the perfect estate plan so one’s family is in good hands, even when they are no longer around to provide them with the love and support they need.

Reach them at:


43 South 100 East

Suite 300

(435) 628-1711



590 W Mesquite Boulevard

Suite 202A

(702) 346-3100

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *